Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Adulthood Eve

I planned on posting a blog about 12 hours ago, due to my body clock being on the fritz. Obviously I got distracted. With what at 6:30 a.m. you ask? I don't even know. All I know is that:
(1) I am 70% packed for school (which is surprisingly good given my unique procrastination rituals).
(2) Leaving is starting to become extremely eminent, as are my premature feelings of nostalgia for grand ole Glasgow.
(3) Grandma and I can make some mean chess bars. (Ellen if you are reading, they still do not compare)
(4) Not taking a nap earlier what a horrible idea.

I am actually kind of excited about Western tomorrow. I will be up early, bright eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to help my best friend Helen move into Minton. Not that anyone else besides Helen reading right now would care; I just received a complaint on my last post that I was not mentioning certain people early on in the post. After I tackle that nine story task (yes she is on the ninth floor), I will be on my way to this somewhat ambiguous H4 Program.  I mean it will be interesting going to this Honor's College retreat. We (as in the HC Class of 2015) will be doing all sorts of team building and outdoor activities over the course of four days. Yess.. (if there was a punctuation for sarcasm, I would insert it there). I really am excited about going though... however contradictory it sounds.

I am looking forward to meeting new, intelligent people outside the Glasgow Community. It seems as if EVERYONE here is an intellect; most of whom have something intelligent to say 0 times out of 10. Those of you offended right now, you're probably who I am talking about. Either way, back to the subject I was on.

I really am looking forward to the stupid/quirky/sometimes funny/mostly unnecessary ice breakers people usually go through in programs or retreats like these. I was talking to one of my good friends about M.A.S.T.E.R Plan and one of the first things he said was "I don't want to go to all the stupid ice breaker games; they're pointless. You want to meet someone, you shake their hand; the old fashion way." I have to say, I agree with him; partially. Yes the ice breakers may seem pointless and childish, and yes shaking hands can be a great gateway to friendships, but what I love about these ice breakers is that they allow people to open up. It only gets awkward when you have a room full of walled off, miserable people suffocated by his/her own silence, and a handful of participants who want people to see themselves for who he/she really is. Richard Nixon meets Will Ferrel. Donald Trump meets Deon Sanders. There is an elephant in the room, and his name is egocentricity.

I feel like I rant too much. I would apologize, but then again if you have a problem with it you probably aren't reading this right now, as you would have already gotten off my page. Either that or my words just have you latched onto the screen. That or you don't have anything better to do. Don't tell me your real answer, unless it compliments me that is.

I just wanted to take a little time to pitch a quick bit for http://www.8tracks.com/. If you are a music lover, go there now. And by now I mean after you are down reading my blog. Really though, it is a free internet radio site where the music is made into independently customized mixes that I guarantee will fit any mood/music craving your little ears can ever hope to ask for. I have found that I always listen to one of two mixes while blogging; both are instrumentals. Lovely.

I did promise myself I would make this post a little briefer than my previous two. Mostly in part because I need to get some sleep. 3-4 hours of sleep in a night are not something I prefer/am used to. I still have so much to do before I leave though. I have to admit, I do like going to college and still being only 30-45 minutes away from home. I'm not going to be the stereotypical "suitcase student" who comes home on most weekends like many who live close. I just like being able to pack lightly for one. I like knowing that if something happens at home, I can be there quickly. I like knowing that I can always come to my brother's ball games. I like knowing that I can be in a neighboring county, and still seem a million miles away. I guess what I like most of all, is knowing that home is never too far away (metaphorically of course).

I suppose the next time I post I will be an H4 alumni, if I am using that properly. Maybe I will have some funny ice breaker stories to tell, if not I will rant on about something. I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment